What is ASELA?
The Association of South Essex Local Authorities is a partnership of neighbouring councils that have come together to deliver growth and prosperity in the region.
The local authority partners are Basildon, Brentwood, Castle Point, Rochford, Southend-on-Sea, Thurrock and Essex County Council.
In January 2018, the partnership agreed to work together and signed a Memorandum of Understanding. ASELA has spent three years looking at how working together across existing local government boundaries will help deliver improved infrastructure and economic growth.
With the added impact COVID-19 has had on our businesses and communities, there is an opportunity to collectively grasp this moment and deliver economic, social and public service transformation.
ASELA wants to be at the forefront and support the south Essex region to be a UK leader in economic recovery, and drive sustained economic growth and prosperity within its communities. There is a bold and ambitious plan to create greater prosperity and quality of life for all its residents and for the benefit of the UK. Part of this plan must now be to ensure its businesses and residents recover, improve the economy locally and nationally as well as deliver the housing targets set by government.
- Chair - Councillor Rob Gledhill - Leader of Thurrock Council
- Vice-Chair - Councillor Chris Hossack – Leader of Brentwood Borough Council
- Councillor Gavin Callaghan – Leader of Basildon Borough Council
- Councillor Jeffrey Stanley – Leader of Castle Point Borough Council
- Councillor Simon Wootton – Leader of Rochford District Council
- Councillor Ian Gilbert – Leader of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Scott Logan - Chief Executive, Basildon Borough Council
- Jonathan Stephenson – Chief Executive, Brentwood Borough Council
- David Marchant – Chief Executive, Castle Point Borough Council
- Angela Hutchings – Interim Managing Director, Rochford District Council
- Ali Griffin – Chief Executive, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Lyn Carpenter – Chief Executive, Thurrock Council